Amazing rhubarb citrus compote
This amazing rhubarb citrus compote is super easy and fast to make. Try it for brekky, dinner or dessert. Rhubarbs are amazing because of their sour taste and having vegetables for dessert or breakfast is a great excuse to eat plenty! (Yes, rhubarb is a vegetable even though often thought of and treated as a fruit in the kitchen)
Rhubarb citrus compote for dessert
Dessert wise I love rhubarb compote as it is or with some ice cream og whipped cream. You can also skip the part of cooking in the pot and spread the rhubarbs out in a baking/tart dish and sprinkle some crumble over it – yum!
You can also try these:
… and breakfast
A spoon full of this amazing rhubarb citrus compote on top of your porridge or yoghurt in the morning is great to give the usual breakfast some new life. You could also use it as jam on a piece of toast.
Rhubarb Citrus Compote
- 450 g rhubarbs (frozen or fresh)
- ½ lemon (the juice)
- ½ organic orange (the zest)
- 1 tbsp water (optional)
- ½-1 tsp vanilla
- 4 tbsp sugar *
- Rinse the rhubarbs and cut them into 2 cm cube size. Toss them into a small pot.
- Squeeze the lemon and add the juice to the rhubarbs.
- Zest the orange and add it to the rhubarbs.
- Add the rest of the ingredients to the rhubarbs and give it a stir. Let it simmer until cooked (about 15 min). Make sure to stir a bit in the beginning to avoid it from sticking to the bottom of the pot. You can avoid stirring too much in the mixture during cooking if you prefer the compote to have rhubarb pieces in it.
- Enjoy warm and cold. You can also freeze it for later use.